5/19/2010

Sharing the creative spark



My first big roadtrip is drawing closer. What seemed like a far off date is frightfully close. Is the car ready? Am I ready? Do I have everything I need? Will it all fit in the car? But there is an equal amount of excitement. I'll be visiting some very artsy areas of the country and hanging out with many passionate artists. I'm looking to catch some of their creative spark. 


The goal is to meet in person some of the artists that I only know through email and online, do a little Q&A about their work, studio, and how their work and faith come together ( for example: for some it's subject matter, for others it's painting at church, or an outreach project that uses art.) I also hope that the artist(s) might show me (or at least give me directions) for some of their favorite artsy spots - a favorite gallery, coffee shop, thrift store, district. etc. I'm going to take as many notes and photos as i can so that I can share the creative sparks with you. 

I feel as though I'm about to embark on a 12 day long artist's date. I had been working my way through The Artist's Way but I'll admit.... I fell off the wagon. I was a member of a group and we met every Thursday at a coffee shop. But life got crazy busy and I dropped out. I didn't finish the 12 week workbook. But I mention this because of the artist's dates. An artist's date is a weekly time where you just go out by yourself and do something that recharges you creatively. Or as the website defines it:

"The Artist Date is a once-weekly, festive, solo expedition to explore something that interests you. The Artist Date need not be overtly "artistic"-- think mischief more than mastery."

Some examples of artist's dates:
http://theartistswayblog.wordpress.com/artists-date-ideas/

No comments: