5/26/2010

Pretending to have a Simpler life

On my road trip, I'm going to pretend that I'm living a fantasy that I've had for some time. In my fantasy, I have a much simpler life. No 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. No pets. Just an RV and the road. Each day an adventure.

How did I catch this travel bug? My immune system was down. We've all got a metal immune system for crazy ideas. Voices in our heads that automatically shoot down our 'crazy' creative desires because "Oh be serious. You can't do that and you'll starve/throw away your live's work/be seen as a failure/etc." But take a life changing event, such as a divorce, and suddenly you have fewer fears. I've already lost a lot. I've felt failure. I've survived a tougher situation than I ever expected to live through. Now I'm starting to hear a different voice and it says, "well, why the heck not? what do i have to lose?"

So let me share with you some of the infectious materials that have led to my roadtrip:

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller (urges you to live a more interesting story)
Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller (a journey from Texas to Oregon)
Travels with Charlie: in Search of America by John Steinbeck (his roadtrip was 10,000 miles)
The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson (about 14,000 miles)

And then there are the countless blogs that modern day Steinbecks are keeping about their great American journeys. They even give you practical advice and encouragement so you can do it yourself.

http://tosimplify.blogspot.com
http://www.happyjanssens.com/
http://roadtripnation.com/

I guess i got tired of reading about everyone else's roadtrip adventures. Even my own sketchbooks have seen more of the country than I ever have and I was having to write about their journeys!

No comments: