3/22/2009

Live painting at Resurrection Catholic Church

I've been asked to paint live at Resurrection Catholic Church here in Memphis. Certainly not the type of church service that I'd thought I'd be painting at next. To me, it feels like a very traditional service for live art. But Catholic churches are typically full of art and understand art's role in enriching the worship experience. It seemed like most of my art history courses spent the majority of the time discussing art done for or in the Catholic Church.

I'm so excited to work with another church to add art to it's worship service ( or in this case, it's mass ). Sharing my experience with another church has been a prayer of mine for the last two years. The Stirring arts ministry has grown so much that it feels poised to mentor and help other churches.

General idea for the piece is from following scripture:
John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 1:4-5In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

While reflecting on this scripture and the crucifixion, I felt inspired to visually illustrate Jesus being the Light. Sort of like there is light releasing from Him into darkness.

No comments: