4/14/2009

Live painting done for Holy Week

“The Light Shines in the Darkness,” painted at Resurrection Catholic Church, 2009 © Richard Fudge

General idea for the piece is from following scripture:

John 14:6 – Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 1:4-5 –In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

While reflecting on this scripture and the crucifixion, I felt inspired to visually illustrate Jesus being the Light. Sort of like there is light releasing from Him into darkness. I painted the left panel Palm Sunday, the right panel on Good Friday, and the middle panel on Easter. At each service, I started with a blank canvas with just a pencil sketch on it. I was able to complete each painting by the end of the mass (about 1 and a half hours). I sold the painting almost before the paint was dry. So I'm planning to have prints made. It's very exciting.

No comments: