8/04/2010

OMG! I'm published....

About a year ago, I was working on my To Send a Prayer series when I emailed author Ann Jackson one of my doodles for a book she was working on: Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace. I didn't have any expectations. I liked her blog and her question "What is one thing you feel you can’t say in church?" really connected with me. I never really heard if she was going to use it for certain or even when the book might get published.

A spread from her book.  My drawing is on the right. 

So today I'm checking the blogs and twitter accounts that i follow when I see that Susan Issacs (another author who loves my work) has tweeted about the book release. So much has happened in my life in the last 12 months that I'd totally forgotten about Ann's book. I'm thinking to myself, "I wonder if my doodle made the book? Wouldn't that be cool." I do a little searching around Ann's website and had pretty much decided that I probably hadn't made the cut or I'd have to order a book to find out for sure when I stubble across the above image. I couldn't sit still for 15 minutes. I'm emailing friends in ALL CAPS, i post a link on facebook, and just about run up and down the halls at the office screaming "I'M IN THE BOOK." Soon I'll be able to walk into a bookstore, pick a book off the shelve, open it to this page, and state "Isn't that cool. I'm published." In all honesty, this probably isn't that big a deal, but to me... today... it's HUGE. 

2010. Best. Year. For. My. Art. So. Far. 

No comments: