11/20/2008

Concept for a Live Painting at Church


Nail scarred hand

Luke 24:36-39 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you."

They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

John 20:27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

We regularly do live paintings at The Stirring were I go to church. Here's an idea I had for Easter. Then near the end of the message, I would complete the painting and moved it and the easel to the edge of the stage so that people could easily reach it. Next I would place my finger in some red paint and put a red thumbprint in the center of the hand. Then the pastor would encourage people to come forward and do the same. They would also get a wet wipe to clean their finger. By the end, there would be a large red spot made of all the individual prints. Sort of a symbolic a placing your sins in God's hands and then being wiped clean.

No comments: